404 Error page message

This may sound funny but it would be great if the wording in the Genesis 404.php could be changed to read differently. As it is, it is overly verbose and really doesn't use proper grammar. This is how it reads now:

"The page you are looking for no longer exists. Perhaps you can return back to the homepage and see if you can find what you are looking for. Or, you can try finding it by using the search form below."

I have bolded the questionable grammar. Some of the 404 pages I have seen are quite friendly, saying something like what is found in the WP Codex page for creating a 404 page.
//codex.wordpress.org/Creating_an_Error_404_Page

Anyway it is just a thought. I made some CSS changes to the default 404 page on my site but can't change the verbiage.

@cmnabors

What Cobalt Apps DEV tool would you like to use to make these changes? I just need to know so I know how to best provide a solution for you in particular.

Hi @cmnabors ,
I remembered that I had successfully changed the 404 verbiage on one of my sites and just looked at my notes to see how I accomplished it. There is a 404.php file in the themes>genesis folder. I copied this into my child theme folder and made changes within the copied file, and that's it! There may be some additional steps you need to take if you are using the Dynamik skin to protect the file when you update Dynamik, but it may just be as easy as that for you!

Good luck!

-Sarah

@brit77

That's exactly right, and thanks for sharing your input! 🙂

I just wanted to know what Cobalt DEV tools they're using so I can know which technique to show them. Hmmm.... Maybe I should just create a tutorial that shows them all. 🤔

Thanks to both of you for your help. I thought I had seen something awhile ago about this but could not find it when I searched. I tried putting a custom 404.php in the custom php area but that didn't work. I get nervous changing those files as I am NOT anything but a self taught WP, CSS, HTML amateur. I am using Genesis with Dynamik website builder. I actually have been using it for about 8 years, off and on and can't bring myself to use anything else. Oh and nice work on the new community pages, Eric. Much friendlier and quite modern, I might add. 😉 Thanks again for the info.

@cmnabors

Glad I could help!

And thanks, I appreciate the positive feedback about the new forum. 🙂